- It’s okay to outgrow people/friendships. Not every friend you make is meant to grow with you (no matter how long or how strong the friendship was). This was an eye-opener for me. But it showed me that the right people want to stay in every season. If anything, I became even closer to the existing people in my life and/or discovered new friendships.
- Stay humble with what you’re given. If you’re not getting what you thought you would or you’re getting less or just not getting what you want, stay humble and grounded. You could be doing your all to get what you want but it could just be that right now is not the time yet. Your time will come. For now, be thankful with what you have.
- For every loss, there is a blessing. Losing something or someone is painful. I’ve experienced a death of a loved one, and more within the last year, but there were also gains. Don’t think that it’s over. In time, life surprises you with blessings.
- Get out of your comfort zone and take risks because it will reward you. I think some people don’t take risks because they’re scared of what they might lose. In my experience, the risks I’ve taken have rewarded me. I went after my passion (even though I knew it was risky), and I now have a career in it. I wouldn’t have what I have now if I just stayed in my comfort zone. Go after what you want, even if it scares you. That just means it’s a big goal. You are capable of anything. No one is stopping you but you. You have the freedom to make your choices. How can you experience what life has to offer you if you stay where you are? There is more to life and you deserve to experience it.
- Stay patient in uncertainty. Man, this was a big one last year. There were situations that I was in where I wasn’t sure what the outcome would be if I stayed in it. It would make me feel discouraged at times because I wanted to know that what I was doing in the situation would be purposeful and not eventually become hard work for nothing. I wanted to have a secure future. But I learned to have faith and let go of that worry and uncertainty. Nothing in life is guaranteed. Nothing is tied to you. Just do your best and give your all anyway for now. If it’s for you, then it’s for you. If not, your destiny is somewhere else. Deal with things as they come/happen. After all, you’re living in the present.
- The only person to compete and compare yourself to is yourself. It’s easy to look at the other person and push yourself to be better and do better than them. But this is exhausting and stressful. Everyone’s running their own race in life; focus on your own race. Focus on you.
- If you don’t like a situation you’re in, adapt to it or find a way out of it. This goes to the job you have, and so forth. Many people get into this pattern of thinking, that they’re stuck with their situation (job, partner, etc.) and can’t do anything about it. But you can. You have the power to get out of a situation or to ask for help or to think positive thoughts in order to stay strong in your situation.
- Don’t forget to stop and smell the flowers sometimes. Everyone has to work to make a living but don’t forget to live too. Don’t fall into a robotic routine. You haven’t gone out on a romantic date with your partner in a while? Do it. Cherish those around you. You don’t know how long your time on earth is. You don’t want the sum of your life to just be all about work or being too busy for your loved ones.
- Stay hungry. And I don’t mean for food (even though I always am hungry for food). Don’t just achieve your goal and get comfortable. One day, you’ll wonder “is this it?”. Or you’ll get discontent with life. Aim higher, make new goals. Ask yourself “what else can I do?” As always, there’s so much more to life. There’s so much more you can do and achieve.